was in politics a strong Republican, never once missing a vote, and although frequently tendered office, declined all others than that of county commissioner. He was well informed in all the topics of the day, a constant reader, and until his death keen of perception and exceedingly social, thereby winning and retaining many friends. He died Dec. 17, 1870, and was buried with his parents in, the Newtown Friends' burial-ground.
John Bartram, who was of English extraction and the grandfather of the subject of this biography, married Phoebe Lobb, to whom were born, among other children, a son, Samuel, in Darby township, during the year 1800. He was united in marriage to Massey Pratt, daughter of Thomas Pratt, of Marple township, whose children were William (married to Annie, daughter of Lewis Garrett, of Radnor township), Hannah (Mrs. Stephen Ogden), and Thomas P. The latter was born Sept. 14, 1827, in Darby township, and in early youth removed to Marple township, where he enjoyed such advantages of education as the school of the district afforded, and afterwards became a pupil of the popular boarding-school at Westtown. He returned to the farm, and until his twenty-sixth year assisted in its cultivation. In 1855 he married Orpha Ann Heycock, daughter of Jesse Heycock, of Newtown. Two years later Mr. Bartram purchased the farm in Newtown, on which he at present resides, and has since that date devoted his energies to its improvement. This has engaged all his time and attention, and left little leisure for participation in matters of a public character. He is in his political predilection a Republican, and, though not an active representative of the party, has served the township both in the capacity of school director and supervisor. He is in religion a Friend, and member of the Newtown Friends' Meeting.
James Dunwoody was born in West Whiteland, Chester Co., Pa., on Aug. 21, 1812, on the farm where three generations of his ancestors had lived. While still a boy, his parents moved to Westtown. He married, March 12, 1840, Hannah, daughter of William Hood; continuing for a few years to manage the farm of his father. But in 1849 he bought and removed to the farm of his father-in-law, in Newtown, Delaware Co. Here he passed the remainder of his life, proving by his unwavering attachment to the right an influence for good in the community. He died March 8, 1883, leaving five sons, - William H., Charles, John, E. Evans, and J. Penrose.
William Rhoads, the son of Joseph and Mary Rhoads, and the youngest of seven children, was born in Marple township, on the 2d of April, 1797. After receiving an English education at John Cornley's boarding-school, at Burlington, and at Westtown, he engaged in active farm labor, and married Annie P. Levis, daughter of William and Esther Levis, of Springfield township, on the 14th of March, 1822. Their children are George, William, Esther L. (Mrs. Nathan Garrett), Phebe, Mary Ashbridge (Mrs. Hibberd Yarnall), Anna, and Elizabeth L. (who is deceased). Mr. Rhoads, on his marriage, removed to the farm in Newtown township, which is now the residence of his widow, and until his death, on the 27th of February, 1863, was engaged in the healthful pursuits of a farmer. Mr. Rhoads, as a Whig and Republican, held various public offices in the township, but cared little for the exciting scenes of political life. He was president, from the date of construction until his death, of the West Chester and Philadelphia Turnpike Company. He wielded a commanding influence in the township as a man of integrity, judgment, and intelligence. His religion was that of the Orthodox Society of Friends, of which he was a prominent member.
Isaac Leedom, the father of Jesse, who was of English descent, was a former resident of Bucks County, Pa., from whence he removed to Radnor, and engaged in the labor attending the cultivation of a farm. He married Ann Jones, of Merion township, Montgomery Co., and had children, - John, Jesse, Silas, George, and Isaac. By a second marriage to Rebecca Matlack were born children, - Ann, Elizabeth, Benedict, William, Sidney, Mary, and Enoch. The death of Mr. Leedom occurred on the 12th of March, 1848. His son, Jesse, was born June 23, 1801, in Radnor township, Delaware Co., where his youth was spent. At the age of sixteen he left home with a view to acquiring in Chester County the trade of a miller. Having become proficient in this trade, he labored for a while as a journeyman, and later rented a mill. Mr. Leedom continued his vocation for many years, having both leased and purchased milling property. In 1846 he secured a farm in the same county, popularly known as "the White Horse farm," and two years later became owner of the Mineral Spring farm in Newtown township, Delaware Co., where he continued to reside and cultivate the land until his death on the 4th of August, 1883. He married on the 19th of November, 1835, Elizabeth Williamson, daughter of Enos and Sarah Williamson. Their children are Sarah Ann (Mrs. J. H. Thomas, of Media), Hannah E., J. Jones, Margaret L., Enos W. (deceased), and E. Mary (Mrs. Alfred Palmer, of Steelton, Pa.). Mr. Leedom evinced a keen intelligence in the discussion of the political questions of the day as on all subjects of current interest. Though a pronounced Whig in politics, and on the organization of the Republican