The Borough Of Media.
12, 1830, died Dec. 19, 1832; Nathan, born Jan. 21, 1832; Mary, born Feb. 12, 1834, died Sept. 30, 1834; Francis Mark, born July 4, 1836; Hannah Maria, born June 8, 1838, married John L. Evans; Benjamin, born Dec. 13, 1840; Hunter, born Dec. 7, 1842; Jemima Elizabeth, born Aug. 13, 1845, died Feb. 11, 1850; Sarah Ann, born Aug. 16, 1850, married George M. Lewis.
Mr. Brooke, after a life of uninterrupted usefulness, died Dec. 19, 1876, and was buried at St. David's, Radnor.
Charles D. Manley, lawyer, was born in the township of Radnor, Delaware Co., Pa., on Dec. 20, 1807. His father, Benjamin Manley, was a farmer and mechanic, who was born, lived, and died in Delaware County. His mother was a DeHaven, the DeHavens of the Schuylkill, of German descent. His grandfather, Thomas Manley, was a farmer, who rented and occupied at various times several large farms in Chester, Middletown, and Newtown. His grandfather belonged to the Maddock family, an English family of Ridley. His paternal great-grandfather, tradition says, was of a noble family of Ireland. His preliminary education was received at the schools of the neighborhood. He was at two private schools, boarding in the teacher's family about a year and a half, having first began to teach before he was eighteen years of age. After having acquired a fair English education, he commenced teaching school in Chester. He continued at this occupation for four years, applying himself during his leisure hours to the study of law, and by economy contriving to save a few hundred dollars of his earnings. But his health beginning to show evident signs of failure, in consequence of too intense application to his studies and business, he abandoned teaching and assumed a clerical position in the Bank of Delaware County, located at Chester. In this capacity he remained about sixteen months, when he entered into the mercantile business as one of the firm of Eyre & Manley. In this business he continued about four years, when, abandoning commercial pursuits, he again turned his attention to law. He first entered as student under Peter Hill Engle, and finally finished his legal reading under the tuition of E. Darlington, and was admitted to the bar in 1848. Establishing himself at first in Chester, he there practiced until 1851, when he removed to Media, then first commencing to be settled as a town. His professional business furnished him a fair and reasonable compensation until the outbreak of the war, when, by reason of his being a member of the Democratic party, his income became much reduced. In 1855 he was elected to the State Legislature, in 1856 he was made a delegate to the National Convention at Cincinnati, and in 1858 he ran as the Democratic candidate for Congress in the district in which he resided, and was defeated by John Hickman, an independent.
He has always been a Democrat in politics, and while he is not aggressive or offensive in his opinions, he has always been firm in his adhesion to the principles of his party. Having since his admission to the bar confined himself almost exclusively to the business of his profession, he is looked upon more as a conscientious lawyer than as an aspiring politician.
He has always taken an active interest and given substantial aid to any investment tending to the advancement of the town of Media, and has been twice elected a member of Town Council. In 1838 he was married to Margaret Worrell, a member of an old and well-known family in Delaware County. In religion he is an Episcopalian, was a member of the vestry of St. Paul's Church of Chester while he resided there for several years, and has always manifested a deep interest in the religious denomination with which he is connected as well as in all questions of private and public morality at home and abroad. His Masonic teachings formed a part of his religion, and he was one of the brightest members of the mystic order in the county. He believed in and practiced the doctrines of the fraternity, and was an honor to the craft. His social qualities added to his kind heart made him a host of warm friends. He was a great reader, a good thinker, and an earnest debater. He died on the 19th day of December, A.D. 1880.
William Lewis, the progenitor of the family in America, came from England with William Penn in 1682. In the direct line of descent was Nathan, who had among his children a son, Didymus, the grandfather of Milton Lewis, who married Phoebe Matlack. Their children were Deborah, Tamar, Phoebe, Mary, Nathan, Eli, Thomas, Margaret, and Tacy. Eli was born July 18, 1784, and married Hannah Sharpless, whose children are Sharpless (deceased), Mary (Mrs. W. Garrett), Elizabeth (Mrs. Dutton Otley), Eli, Milton, Isaiah M. (deceased, a physician, who resided in Emporia, Kan.), Edith (Mrs. E. Hickman), Phoebe Ann (Mrs. L. G. Garrett), and Hannah (deceased, Mrs. A. N. Hatch). Milton was born July 21, 1823, in Newtown township. He received an elementary education in the schools near his birthplace, and at once entered upon a career of active labor on the farm of his father. He married, in 1851, Martha, daughter of Robert M. and Eliza Thomas, of Newtown township. Their only son, Dillwyn, was born March 14, 1852, and now cultivates the farm of his father in Marple township. He married, in 1875, Annie, daughter of Samuel Hunter, of Upper Providence, and has two sons. The year of his marriage Milton Lewis removed to a farm he had purchased in Marple township, and continued the pursuits of an agriculturist until 1876, when Media became his residence. He