of the society of Friends with whom he worshiped. His death occurred Jan. 21, 1865, in his seventy-eighth year. The following brief summary of a life fraught with usefulness and eminent for purity is given by a friend:
"There was probably no one in the neighborhood in which he lived and where he closed his long and useful career more justly valued and respected than the subject of this brief notice. A youth of unstained purity to be followed by an active manhood, void of reproach, was crowned by a vigorous old age, surrounded by all the fruits of an industrious, virtuous, and eminently useful life, the final scene of which, as if in attestation of the love and respect in which he was held, being witnessed by a large concourse who assembled to pay the last tribute of respect to his memory. All that should accompany 'the sere and yellow leaf' of old age, as 'honor, duty, love, obedience, and troops of friends,' were his, and deservedly so. For a long period he had been suffering from the infirmities of age and the gradual decay of nature. The flame long flickered in the socket, but under all he was sustained by a strength not of earth, and the darkness which was to succeed through the 'valley of the shadow' brought no terrors to a soul thus armed and fortified. To him has been revealed the great mystery which must be learned by all that breathe, - bounded human vision has become infinite, and the dull, glimmering light of human intellect has become merged and lost in the full-tide radiance of omnipotence. At full maturity, like a thoroughly ripened sheaf, he has been gathered into God's garner, and to mourn him is as futile as it is ungrateful to him 'who giveth his beloved rest.'"
The Peterman family are of German extraction. Christian Peterman, the father of David, was a resident of Delaware County. He married Ann Redyner, and had children, - David, Jacob, George, Mary (Mrs. Scrimbger), Sarah (Mrs. Reyner), and Ann (Mrs. Esrey). David was born in Marple township, Delaware Co., in 1773, and spent his life in the immediate vicinity of his birth. He received such an education as the schools of that early day afforded, and on reaching man's estate, engaged with his father in farming. At a later date he purchased the farm now occupied by his grandson, Christian Peterman. Mr. Peterman married Ann McClure, of Marple township, to whom were born children, - George, Thomas, Sarah, Samuel, Elizabeth (Mrs. Charles Wesley Page), and Christian, of whom Mrs. Page is the only survivor. Mr. Peterman's pursuits during his lifetime were those of a farmer. He enjoyed - as a man of high moral character, the strictest integrity, and much intelligence - a commanding influence in the community, while his kindly nature endeared him alike to rich and poor. His religious preferences were in harmony with the creed of the Presbyterian Church. The death of Mr. Peterman occurred in April of the year 1842, in his sixty-ninth year.
The Borough Of Media.1
|For nearly a century and three-quarters after the first settlers came to the region in which Media was destined to be developed, the charming site of the now beautiful town was settled sparsely like other agricultural districts of the county, and no prophetic vision of the seat of justice that was to be, obtruded itself among the pastoral musings of the quiet, plodding farmers, whose broad acres are now so thickly populated and the scene of so much of life's activity.||1 By Alfred Mathews.|
Concerning the folks who came here two centuries ago (1682), and who owned the land on which Media is built, while it was a virgin wilderness we have gained some interesting facts, and some also concerning their successors and the deed history of the land.
The Title to the Soil. - The first dwellers here were the Taylors. Peter Taylor and William, his brother, of the parish of Sutton, county of Chester, England, bought of William Penn, March 3, 1681, land to the amount of twelve hundred and fifty acres in the province of Pennsylvania, for which they paid the sum of twenty-five pounds for all, and one shilling quit-rent for each one hundred acres, or about one hundred and twenty-eight dollars altogether, which was no greater a price than ten and a quarter cents per acre. Seven hundred acres of this land was taken up on the exact location of Media, the town which was to come into existence one hundred and sixty-eight years later. Peter took four hundred and William three hundred acres, leaving a remainder of five hundred and fifty acres to be taken up in East Caln township, where they had decided to locate the other tract. The brothers came over from England early in 1682, some time before the arrival of Penn, and probably in the ship "Amity." They proceeded to locate their claims shortly after arriving. Peter Taylor's land was nearly in the form of a parallelogram, and extended from Ridley Creek to the Providence road, while its southern boundary was nearly coincident with the present Washington Street in Media borough. The northern boundary was probably not far from the site of the county jail. William Taylor's share of the land was nearly in the form of a square along the line on which the Providence road was laid out, and lay north of and adjoining his