Chapter XLIV.

Haverford Township.

 

that the marked superiority of our vessels in combats with those of England of the same class, during the war of 1812-15, was mainly owing to the adoption of Mr. Humphrey's suggestions. He may justly be called the father of the American navy. The last thirty years of his life were passed on a part of his patrimonial estate in Haverford, where he died in 1838.

Samuel Humphrey, a son of Joshua and great-grandson of Daniel first mentioned, learned all the details of ship-building and naval architecture under the instruction of his father. When his reputation had become world-wide the Russian emperor endeavored to secure his services, and offered him a salary of sixty thousand dollars per year, besides the use of a furnished mansion, with coach, horses, servants, etc., in attendance, but. Mr. Humphrey declined the position with the remark that his services were only at the disposal of his country. Subsequently, under John Quincy Adams' administration, he served as chief of the naval Bureau of Construction and Repairs.

The Grange. - Of this, the most ancient and rurally beautiful country-seat in Delaware County, Dr. Smith, in 1862, wrote as follows:

"There is no place in the township of Haverford, perhaps none in the county, with which so much historical interest is associated as with this ancient seat of grandeur and elegance. Henry Lewis, a Welsh Quaker, one of the most staid of his sect, selected this spot as his wilderness abode in 1682. He was succeeded by his son, Henry, who resided here many years. About the middle of the last century we find the estate, then consisting of nearly four hundred acres, owned and occupied (at least in the summer season) by a Capt. John Wilcox (sometimes spelled Wilcocks), who erected upon it a mansion, . . . and gave it the name of 'Clifton Hall.' Capt. Wilcox surrounded his estate with a ditch of some depth, most of which, within the recollection of many now living, could be readily traced, and some parts of it are still visible. It is said, on the authority of tradition, that Capt. Wilcox caused this ditch to be dug in order to give employment to his negroes, of whom he owned a considerable number.

"About the year 1760, Charles Cruickshank, a Scotch gentleman of wealth, who held a captain's commission under the British government, and who had seen service in the Netherlands, came to America, and in 1761 purchased the Clifton Hall estate, but changed its name to the 'Grange,' or 'Grange Farm.' Soon after the year 1770 . . . the mansion-house was enlarged and variously modified. It is also probable that about this period the terraced walks were cut, the green-house established, and that the almost unequaled natural beauties of the place were fully developed by the appliances of art, under the direction of a well-cultivated taste. The land attached to the Grange was partly in three counties, - Chester (now Delaware), Philadelphia, and Montgomery, - which Capt. Cruickshank increased by purchase.

"In 1768, Mr. John Ross, also a Scotch gentleman, and an extensive merchant of Philadelphia, married Clemantina, the daughter of Capt. Cruickshank, who at the close of the Revolutionary war sold the Grange to his son-in-law, Ross, and returned with his family to his native country. Mr. Ross added to the buildings, and also increased the quantity of land to an aggregate of six hundred acres. After the death of Mr. Ross, in 1806, the estate was sold to his son-in-law, John F. Mifflin, who in 1810 sold the mansion to John H. Brinton, the maternal grandfather of Gen. Geo. B. McClellan. In 1816, Mr. Brinton sold the mansion, with another part of the estate which he had purchased in 1811, to Manuel Eyre, Esq., who made it his country residence till his death, in 1845. About that time the Grange was purchased by John Ashhurst, Esq., the son-in-law of Mr. Eyre, who still occupies it as his country-seat.

"At an early period, particularly during its occupancy by Mr. Ross, the Grange was fitted up in the most exquisite style of the times, and during the summer months it was not infrequently the scene of elegant and luxurious entertainments."

Biographical Sketches.

James A. Moore.

James A. Moore

James A. Moore was born on the 31st of October, 1802, in New Garden township, Chester Co., where his father was owner of a productive farm. In 1812 he removed to Upper Merion township, Montgomery Co., and became a member of the household of his grandfather, James Abrams. He received, under many disadvantages, a common-school education, a walk of two miles being necessary to reach the nearest school-house. His father having died, the family continued to reside with Mr. Abrams, and young James became a valuable assistant in the labor of the farm. In 1825 the family removed to the present residence of Mr. Moore, in Haverford, which had been previously purchased by his grandfather. Here he took upon himself the maintenance of his mother and the remaining children, and successfully managed the various interests pertaining to the farm. On the death of the mother James purchased the property of the estate, and has since that time resided upon it and continued the occupation of a farmer. Mr. Moore was married, July 14, 1834, to Eliza Ann, daughter of John and Sarah Lindsay, of Haverford township, whose children are Sarah Jane (Mrs. Jesse Brooke), Catherine .(deceased), Catherine, 2d (Mrs. Jesse B. Matlack), Arabella (Mrs. John Justis), John Lindsay, James (deceased, who served during the call for nine months' men for the late war, and was at the battles of Antietam and Chancellorsville), William B., and Ellen C. (Mrs. H. C. Childs). The death of Mrs. Moore occurred in 1880. Mr. Moore, after a life of industry, on his retirement from active labor, surrendered the farm to his son, John, who now cultivates it. James A. Moore was formerly a Democrat in his political belief, but later changed his views, and indorsed the platform of the Republican party. He has served as school director, assessor, and collector of his township. He has frequently acted as executor in the settlement of estates, his advice and judgment being often sought in the management of important interests. He was in youth actively interested in the military organizations of Montgomery County, and was a member of the First Troop of Montgomery County. His uncle, James Moore, was also a member of the same organization, and summoned for duty during the war of 1812. Mr. Moore is a Presbyterian in his religious faith, and both an elder and trustee of the Marple Presbyterian Church.

Joseph B. Leedom.

Joseph B. Leedom

John Leedom was a prosperous farmer in Montgomery County, Pa. His children were Charles, Joseph B., Samuel, John, Elijah, Esther (Mrs. Jesse Thomas), Hannah (Mrs. Charles Jones), Ruth Anna (Mrs. Jacob Carncross). Joseph B. Leedom, of this

 

« Previous Page (Page 577)    Next Page (Page 579) »
Ashmead's "History of Delaware County" Homepage
Delaware County History Homepage