to you, therefore, in the name of suffering humanity, not to give the sanction of your official character to the extension of an evil so deeply to be deplored." Afflick, learning of this remonstrance, in order to offset its influence, had a supplemental petition from "Drivers, Marketmen, Travellers, and others, alleging that 'no stand on the great road leading from Philadelphia to West Chester is better situated or more required for the entertainment of the public than the above-described house,"' which was signed by forty-eight persons. The court gave Afflick license, but in order that the scales of justice should be properly adjusted, refused approval to the Black Bear Tavern this year, which made the balance even, as Stackhouse's inn had received license in 1849. In 1859, William Johnson was the landlord, to give place, in 1861, to Benjamin Kirk, who, in 1865, was followed by John M. Afflick. William Thompson, in 1867, kept the Spread Eagle; Washington Bishop from 1869 until local option did away with license, and after the repeal of that law Roland J. Pugh, in 1875, received approval of the court, a privilege which was transferred to Nelson Pugh the same year. In 1876, Leedom Kirk was the landlord, and continued there until 1879, when James A. Serveson followed him, to give place to Joseph De Negre in 1881. The latter has since died, but the house is still kept open by his widow and children. At the present time it is the only licensed house in the township.
In 1827, Henry Konkle received license for a house he owned eight miles from Philadelphia and fifteen from West Chester, about half a mile nearer the latter place than the Spread Eagle, which inn he called the Black Bear. The next year Joseph Hassan was the landlord, and continued as such until 1830, when Susannah Dunn, who had the year previous kept the Eagle, took the tavern, and remained there until 1832, when Riley Brown became "mine host" of the Black Bear Hotel. William Y. Stackhouse had license for 1837, continuing to receive the court's approval until 1848, when no license was granted in Haverford, and the next year was successful, while the Spread Eagle was refused. In 1850, however, the Black Bear was rejected, while the Eagle that year was in high feather because of the approving judicial nod. In 1851, Stackhouse again appears among the successful applicants, and continued annually to secure the judge's consent until 1870, when he being dead, for that year Mary Ann Stackhouse, his widow, was licensed in his stead; but, after the date last given, the Black Bear Hotel ceased to be a public house of entertainment.
In 1769, John Waytin, and in 1778, Abraham Hughes, petitioned for license in Haverford, but we have not learned the location of the places which they requested might be made more valuable by the approving shake of the judicial heads.
The Humphrey Family. - Concerning this, one of the most illustrious families Pennsylvania has yet produced, we condense from what has been written by others as follows: Daniel Humphrey came from Llanegrin, County of Merioneth, Wales, in 1682, and soon after settled in Haverford township. He had joined the Friends in his native country. In 1695 he married Hannah, the daughter of Dr. Thomas Wynn, of Merion. Their children were Samuel, Thomas, Hannah, Benjamin, Elizabeth, Mary, Joshua, Edward, Martha, and Charles. He visited his native country on business in 1725.
Edward Humphrey, son of Daniel, was born in Haverford township in the year 1710. He learned the fulling and dyeing business in early life, and carried on that business as long as he lived, at the place that is now known as "Castle Hill Mills." In later years, however, he did not attend to his mills personally, for, having acquired a knowledge of medicine and surgery, probably from his grandfather, Dr. Wynn, he practiced that profession with much success. His services were much sought after, but he never charged the poor for attendance. He died unmarried, Jan. 1, 1776, and was buried at Haverford Friends' burying-ground.
Charles Humphrey, son of Daniel, and brother of Edward, was born in Haverford about the year 1713, and died in 1786. He was brought up to the milling business, and, with his brothers, carried on that occupation extensively for many years. A man of fine talents, he was at one time very influential in the county. He served in the Provincial Assembly from 1764 to 1775, when he was chosen a member of the Continental Congress. In that body, though he had contended with all his energies against the oppressive measures of England, he thought the time had not come to sever our connection with the mother-country, and voted against the Declaration of Independence. He has been censured for this vote, but in giving it he represented the views of a large majority of his constituents at the time it was given. He retired to private life, and, though he took no part in the great struggle for liberty, his sympathies were on the side of his country.
Joshua Humphrey, the son of Joshua, and grandson of the immigrant Daniel Humphrey, was born in Haverford township in 1751. After availing himself of such limited educational advantages as the township then afforded, he was apprenticed at a tender age to a ship-carpenter of Philadelphia. Here he made a good use of his opportunities, and, being possessed of a comprehensive and philosophical mind, he soon gained the reputation of being the best ship-builder in the country. After the adoption of the Constitution, and it became apparent that our government must be possessed of a navy, Mr. Humphrey was appointed as the first naval constructor of the United States, and several of our first ships-of-war were built under his immediate direction. Among them the famous ship "Constitution," of which he was the designer, draughtsman, and architect. It is claimed