were employed in Kelly's mills, on Cobb's Creek. The original structure was small, plain, and unpretentious in its appearance. A few years ago, however, it was remodeled and enlarged, and now presents a very pleasing aspect both within and without. Dennis Kelly, who might be termed its founder, lies buried within its shadows, he having departed this life July 21, 1864, aged nearly eighty-five years.
Bethesda Methodist Episcopal Church. - The society existing under this name was organized in October, 1831, under the pastoral charge of Rev. William Crider. The church edifice, which is located in the southwest quarter of the township, about one-half mile southwest from the Eagle Tavern, was erected in 1832. It was considerably enlarged in 1871. Among the original members of the organization were John Gracy and wife, I. P. Jonas, Charles Cunningham, Michael Lincoln and wife, John Foy, Bushrod W. Horton and wife, Lewis Wright, John Wright, Richard Timple, William Palmer, Isaac Anderson, Samuel Pippin, Charles Peirce, and Benjamin Yard. Other early members who joined during the succeeding five years were G. M. Kunkle, James Lewis, Jonathan Evans, Sarah Evans, Sarah Peterman, Alexander Kimble, Sarah Gracy, and Ann Barr.
The preachers who have had charge of this church are mentioned as follows: William Crider, to 1833; David Best, 1833-34; R. W. Thomas, 1835; William Cooper, 1836-37; J. B. Ayres, 1838-39; H. King, 1840 -41; G. Lacy, 1842; ----- Crouch, 1843; ----- McNamee, 1844; T. Sumption, 1845-46; R. M. Greenbank, 1847-48; M. D. Kurtz, 1849-50; J. Edwards, 1851-52; H. Sutton, 1853-54; J. A. Watson, 1855-56; H. B. Mauger, 1857-58; William Dalrymple, 1859-60; George Rakestraw, 1861-62; S. Patterson, 1863-65; L. B. Hughes, 1866; D. McKee, 1867-68; A. L. Wilson, 1869-71; M. A. Day, 1872-73; D. L. Patterson, 1874-75; J. Y. Ashton, 1876-77; T. C. Pearson, 1878-79; A. L. Wilson, 1880-82; Edward Devine, 1883; and D. T. Smyth, present pastor, 1884.
Among the junior preachers who were assigned to or assisted at this church prior to 1858 were Messrs. Perry, Hand, Ford, Jackson, Graham, Niel, Roach, McCaskey, Lybrand, Sanderson, Cummings, Caldwell, Hobbs, Lane, Bailey, Clark, Wheeler, Barr, and Martin. The present members of Bethesda Church are about forty in number.
Licensed Houses. - The first application for license in Haverford that appears of record is that of Griffith Evans, who, at February court, 1731, desired to be permitted to keep a house of entertainment because, as he alleged, he was "an ancient man, his wife well stricken in years & subject to lameness." This license must have been successful, for Dr. Smith informs us that "he [Evens] kept the well-established stand known as the 'Old Trog' in that day." It was located, the same authority states, a short distance above Cooperstown. We, however, have not found his name in the clerk's list of approved licenses.
On Feb. 29, 1732, Samuel Rees presented his application, signed by Daniel Humphrey and twelve other persons, representing that Samuel had been "ailing for some years, and at times unable to help himself, and since March last altogether ailing in the limbs; sometimes forced to keep his bed for weeks; his crops of corn failing for several years, having a large family," etc. His house they represent "being on the great road from Conestoga, &c., to Philadelphia, & convenient for a public house." Despite his many ills and misfortunes the court refused to accede to his wishes and denied him license. In no wise contented with the decision of the justice, he appeared again, May 30, 1732, when he received a favorable response for the remainder of the license year. On Aug. 29th of the same year he presented his petition again, and it also was met with the favorable consideration of the bench. On the clerk's list of the successful petitioners at the August court, 1734, his name appears, and annually thereafter until Aug. 26, 1740, when Littice Rees, the widow of "Samuel, of Haverford," prays the court that the license may be continued to her, inasmuch as she had "a parcell of small children to support." The court yielded assent to her prayer, and again in 1741 extended the like favor to the widow and her fatherless children. On Aug. 30, 1734, William Bell made application to the court, and in his petition sets forth that "Lettis Rees's Lysance being now expired," he desires to renew it, but he does not state whether it was at the old location or not. In 1748, Patrick Miller purchased the house formerly occupied by William Bell, and procured the license until 1752, when, he having died, his widow, Anne, carried on the business until 1757. In 1759, John Gregory had the license, and so on annually until 1761, when Llewellyn Barry obtained it, and in 1766, William Lewis became the landlord, to be followed in the next year, 1767, by Joseph Miller, who continued the business until 1772, when he died. In 1773 his widow, Mary, obtained license, and so on from year to year until 1789, from the Chester County court. After the creation of Delaware County she continued to receive the favorable consideration until 1796, when Jonathan Miller, probably her son, succeeded to the business. From his petition, in 1802, we learn that his tavern was known as the Buck.1 In 1836 he gave place to Edward Siter, and the latter remained there two years, after which date the old inn ceased to be a public-house.
|1 The tavern termed the "sign of the Buck" stood on the old Lancaster road (not the turnpike), in the northeast corner of Haverford; and it was there that the interview between Sower, the German printer, and Gen. Forbes and the Governor of the province took place in 1758. Respecting this meeting, it seems that in the course of the discussions which ensued during the progress of the war above alluded to, several articles appeared in a German newspaper, published at Germantown by Christopher Sower, which were supposed to be aimed against the king and the government. In consequence, fourteen Highlanders, from a regiment lately arrived at Philadelphia, were dispatched to the printer with a written order to meet Gen. Forbes "at the tavern sign of the Buck, on the old Lancaster road." Sower repaired to the place indicated, and being subjected to an examination by Gen. Forbes and the Governor, who was there in person, he was dismissed. Sower had resided in the province thirty-four years, and urged in his defense that he had been instrumental in inducing many persons to settle in the province, and therefore was in duty bound to support its welfare. The general gave him "a serious warning for the future, not to print anything against the King or Government." Forbes was then moving forward on the expedition which resulted in his capture of Fort Du Quesne.|