five hundred acres was granted, May 16, 1663, by Richard Nicolls, Governor of New York, to Israel Helme, Hendrick Joubson (Jacobson), Oele Koeck, and Jan Minsterman. This land is on what is known as Calcoon Hook. The tract seems to have been divided, for on the 10th of April, 1683, one portion of it, owned by Oele Koeck (and on which, later, the mill was built), was sold to Morton Mortonson, who in turn, Aug. 7, 1708, conveyed it to his son, Lawrence, who, later, sold to his son, Tobias Mortonson. On the 10th of April, 1755, Tobias Mortonson sold twenty-four acres to Thomas Shipley, of Wilmington, who died in January, 1759. The property remained in the Shipley family many years, and in 1774, Thomas Shipley, of Darby, purchased at sheriff's sale a lot of land, containing forty-three acres, in Ridley township, across the Muckinipattus Creek from the mill property, which he continued to own as late as 1788. In 1790, Peter Ross is said to have had control of this mill. In 1797 the mill-seat land, as well as the forty-three acres across the creek, were sold by Sheriff Abraham Dicks, as the property of Charles Davis, the purchaser being John Jones, who, the same day, conveyed the premises to Caleb Phipps. At that date the mill was in existence, and had been built long prior to that date, tradition asserting that it was erected by Thomas Shipley, about the year 1755, he being a miller by trade. In 1799, Hiram Walton was operating the mill, and in 1800, Elisha Phipps, a brother of Caleb, was the lessee, and so remained until 1808, when he purchased the property. Elisha Phipps was a strange, erratic character, moved by the impulse of the hour. It is related that the mill being located at the head of tide-water, as was customary in those days, he conveyed his flour to market by a shallop, and returning would bring a cargo of grain. A small sloop, called "The Dusty Miller," was used for this purpose. On one occasion he loaded his little craft with flour and sailed for New York. Time elapsed, and as no word came from Elisha, his wife became anxious, and finally went to New York in search of her husband. There she could learn nothing respecting him, save that he had not been to see the persons with whom he had been accustomed to trade. Finally she returned to her home disconsolate, fully convinced that her husband had been lost on the trip to New York. Time passed, and no intelligence came from the absent Phipps. It was nearly dusk one evening when the "gude wife" saw "The Dusty Miller" coming up the Muckinipattus with the flood tide. Shortly after the craft was moored at its accustomed wharf and Phipps entered the house, and, in his accustomed manner, tossed his old hat on the floor, as if his absence had been no unusual event in his daily life. It seems that after the "Miller" had passed out of the capes of the Delaware, Phipps, on a sudden impulse, decided to sail for the West Indies, where, selling his flour at a large profit, he shipped a quantity of rum and molasses for New York. At the latter port he sold the cargo, purchased grain, and sailed for the Muckinippattus, where he arrived in safety, as already narrated. On March 21, 1812, Phipps sold the property to Halliday Jackson, who owned it until Feb. 27, 1828, when he in turn conveyed it to Ephraim Inskeep. At the latter's death, in 1876, the Glen Olden Mills passed by inheritance to Ephraim J. Ridgway, the present owner.
Warpington Mills. - In 1867, Richard Thatcher erected a cotton-spinning mill on Church Run. The building was ninety-two by fifty-five feet, two stories in height, containing three thousand spindles, driven by a forty horse-power Corliss engine. The mills and machinery cost sixty-five thousand dollars. On Sunday morning, March 24, 1877, an incendiary fire totally destroyed the building and contents, involving a heavy loss to the owner. The mills have never been rebuilt.
Carpet Mills. - About 1849, Gen. John Sidney Jones established a carpet-factory on the north side of the Southern post-road, about a mile west of the borough of Darby, on land which had descended to him from his ancestors, the family having owned the estate during the Revolution. One of the peculiar rules enforced by the proprietor was the prohibition of coal-fires in any of the eight tenements on the property, but he generously supplied the operatives in the mill with wood for fuel. While operating these mills he published a periodical called The Monthly Jubilee. He and his wife, Fanny Lee Townsend Jones, edited it, the type being set in a building on the estate by Patrick McDermot. It was finally discontinued, as was the carpet-mills. The buildings were subsequently leased to John Shepherd & Co., who established a brush-factory therein. On Friday, Dec. 2, 1876, the mills, together with the mansion-house, were destroyed by fire. In September, 1840, Norman B. Barrett, a lad, residing on the Jones farm, while gunning, sat down to rest himself, laying the gun on the ground. When rising he drew the fowling-piece towards him; the cock caught on a twig and discharged the weapon. He was so seriously wounded that death resulted in a few hours thereafter.
Carpet-Factory. - In May, 1882, Wolfenden, Brother & Chism began the erection of a two-story brick carpet-factory, forty by fifty feet, which was completed and put in operation in July of that year. The mills manufacture from one hundred and fifty to one hundred and seventy-five yards of body Brussels carpet daily, employing four looms and fourteen operatives.
The Horntown Tannery. - In 1790, John Horn, of Horntown, owned and carried on a tan-yard at Horntown, which was discontinued prior to 1812.
Crime. - On Monday, Nov. 25, 1844, the body of a female child was found in Darby Creek, near Calcoon Hook, at "Deep Hole," inclosed in a grain-sack, a napkin tied around the neck and head so as to cover the whole face. The indications were that the body