same year the edifice, thirty-five by forty-five, was erected, costing about two thousand five hundred dollars. In February, 1849, the church was broken into and robbed of the pulpit Bible, hymn-book, and a number of Sunday-school books. In the spring of 1873 the church was repaired, the outer walls plastered, a new roof took the place of the old one, and other improvements made, costing thirteen hundred dollars, of which sum William G. Knowles contributed five hundred dollars. The present membership of the church is about sixty-five. The Presbyterian Church, in Darby borough, is an outgrowth of the Knowles Church, twenty members having withdrawn to organize the former ecclesiastical body.
The Rev. Marcus E. Cross continued pastor of the church until 1851, when he resigned, devoting himself to literary work. He had shortly after leaving college edited and published "Hunter's Sacred Biography" and the "Museum of Religious Knowledge," and while pastor of the Knowles Church had begun, in 1847, the publication of the Mirror of Temperance, which he discontinued in 1856. He subsequently published "The Social and Moral Aspect of China." Rev. J. Addison Whitaker was ordained pastor Oct. 3, 1852, and continued until March 2, 1855, when he resigned, since which time the church has been depending on supplies, excepting during the year 1875, when Rev. Andrew Lees was in charge.
African Methodist Episcopal Church. - This church is located on the Horntown road, and in 1842 the society erected on the lot a frame church, which was replaced in 1854 by the present brick edifice, which is twenty-five by forty feet. Among the ministers who have served are the Revs. J. W. Davis, Richard Barney, William Allen, and the Rev. Henderson Bryson, the present pastor. The church has at present about forty members.
Schools. - Schools were taught in what is Darby borough about the middle of the last century, but in the township no record of a school has been found until 1811. When the school law was enacted in 1834, Thomas Smith and Thomas Steel were appointed inspectors by the court until the directors were elected, and $270.60 were received by the township as its proportion of the State and county appropriations.
On the 17th of September, 1811, John Lake, who owned real estate on Church Lane, in the northeast section of Darby township, sold nine square perches of land to Aaron Palmer, Caleb Davis, Benjamin Bonsell, Moses Palmer, Charles Palmer, Gavin Hamilton, Jacob Nitzit, Mary Palmer, Moses Bonsell, Enoch Bonsell, and others, for the purpose of erecting a school-house thereon. Several of the persons here mentioned, and others who subscribed for the purpose of building the school-house, were residents of Upper Darby township, and of the city and county of Philadelphia. The following are the names of those who subscribed and the amounts given:
The amount subscribed aggregated two hundred and nineteen dollars. A one-story stone house was erected on the site, and is still in use, having been enlarged and improved about twelve years ago. This is known as the Palmer or Northern School.
In May, 1835, Jonathan Bonsall taught a school at Horntown, his rates being as follows: "Terms, per quarter, $2.50; ink, quills, pencils, etc., twenty-five cents. No day-scholars will be admitted, except those sent by county commissioners."
Western School District. - On the 25th of September, 1837 the school directors purchased a lot of John Pierson, administrator of the estate of Samuel Shaw, Jr., on which they erected a one-story school-house, which was used until 1874, when the present two-story brick house was erected.
The Southern School is located on Calcon Hook. A school-house was built here about 1850, which was used until 1871, when the present house was erected.
African School is located on the Horntown road. The lot on which this house is erected originally belonged to George G. Knowles, and the first house was a frame building erected about 1850. It was replaced by the present brick one in 1875.
The following is the list of school directors, as found of record at Media:
1840, Thomas Smith, Griffith Holgate; 1842, Samuel Urian, Philip Sipler; 1843, John G. Palmer, Robert P. Ash; 1844, Joshua A. Pearson, Davis Richards; 1845, Edmund Taylor, James Andrews; 1846, John G. Palmer, Robert P. Ash; 1847, William Russell, Jr., Ansley Newlin; 1848, Amos Morris, Charles A. Litzenburg; 1849, John G. Palmer, William Jones; 1850, William D. H. Serrill, William Russell; 1851, Amos Morris, Charles A. Litzenburg; 1852, Thomas M. Fisher, William Jones; 1853, William Russell, W. D. H. Sewell; 1854, Joseph C. Bonsall, William Gardner, Jacob Rice; 1855, James Eachus, John Otty; 1856, Edwin Urian, Jacob Rice; 1857, Joseph C. Bonsall, George Horne; 1858, David Taylor, John Otly; 1859, Edwin Urian, George S. Patchel; 1860, Joseph C. Bonsell, George Swayne; 1861, John Otly, Jacob Rice; 1862, George Swayne, David Taylor; 1863, Frank P. Boyer, Moses Bonsall; 1864, Edward Urian, Richard R. Thatcher; 1865, M. F. Longstreth, John W. Marshall; 1866, Moses Bonsell, Franklin J. Boyer; 1867, Edwin Urian, Moses Lincoln; 1868, Dr. Jacob Boon, Dr. M. F. Longstreth; 1869, Franklin P. Boyer, Moses Bonsell; 1870, Edwin Urian, Richard Thatcher, 1871, M. F. Longstreth, Benjamin F. Horne; 1872, Moses Bonsall, William H. Harrison; 1873, Jacob Lincoln, John Marshall; 1874, F. J. Boyer, M. F. Longstreth; 1875, Moses Bonsall, Charles W. Keithler; 1876, William H. Harrison, M. M. Shaw; 1877, M. Fisher Longstreth, G. A. Hazlett; 1878, Jacob Lincoln, Joshua Kirk; 1879, Joshua P. Kirk, John Marshall; 1880, Davis Yarnall, M. Fisher Longstreth; 1881, Davis Yarnall, Charles T. Brooks; 1882, Israel Helms, Frank P. Lewis; 1883, Joshua P, Kirk, Albert B. Earle; 1884, Charles T. Brooks, Charles H. Scott.
Glen Olden Mills. - The mill on Muckinipattus Creek, now owned by Ephraim J. Ridgway, has an unusually interesting history. The tract of land of