South Chester Borough.
parations were made to build a new school-house, and in the next year (1871) the large and commodious brick edifice was erected on the public grounds, on Third Street, at a cost of seven thousand dollars. On the same grounds, in 1883, the directors erected, at a cost of eight thousand dollar, the high school building, which is of brick and two stories in height. In 1874 a brick school-house for colored children was erected on Townsend Street, between Front and Second Streets, at a cost of four thousand dollars. It is now used for public-school purposes, irrespective of color. In 1879-80 a brick school-house, two stories in height, at a cost of five thousand dollars, was erected on what is known as the forty-acre lot, in the northeastern end of the borough. In 1881 a two-story brick house was built, at a cost of four thousand dollars, on the corner of Second and Thurlow Streets.
The first school board was organized April 30, 1870, with the following members: Thomas J. Leiper, James Kirkman, William H. Green, Owen Lynch, James Bowen, James Elliott. Aug. 9, 1870, James Elliott resigned; Samuel H. Stevenson filled the vacancy by appointment of board.
Members of the school board since that time have been as follows:
June 6, 1871, James Kirkman, James Bowen, Owen Lynch, D. C. Thompson, James Coonan, S. H. Stevenson; June 4, 1872, James Kirkman, James Coonan, D. C. Thompson, T. J. Clayton, William Fow, John McDowell; Oct. 11, 1872, James Kirkman resigned, J. R. Nowland appointed; Dec. 6, 1872, Solomon W. May appointed to vacancy caused by death of William Fow; June 11, 1873, T. J. Clayton, Solomon W. May, D. C. Thompson, J. R. Nowland, John McDowell, James Kirkman; April 3, 1874, Rev. W. R. McNeil and Rev. S. W. Gehrett appointed in place of James Coonan and D. C. Thompson resigned; Nov. 11, 1874, T. J. Clayton resigned, W. H. Green appointed; March 5, 1875, S. W. Gehrett resigned, Z. T. Bartleson appointed; June 7, 1875, W. R. McNeil, John McDowell, James Kirkman, J. R. Nowland, Z. T. Bartleson, J. A. Watts; April 7,1876, W. R. McNeil resigned, G. O. Yarnall appointed; June 5,1876, G. O. Yarnall, Z. T. Bartleson, John McDowell, Casper Culp, J. A. Watts, Jacob Sears; June 5, 1877, G. O. Yarnall, John McDowell, Jacob Sears, J. A. Watts, Z. T. Bartleson, James Bradley; June 3, 1878, G. O. Yarnall, John McDowell, Jacob Sears, James Bradley, Z. T. Bartleson, J. A. Watts; June 4, 1879, Jacob Sears, James Bradley, John McDowell, J. A. Watts, B. H. Smith, Thomas Belmont; June 10, 1880, Jacob Sears, John McDowell, Wm. Belmont, B. H. Smith, J. A. Watts, Z. T. Bartleson; June 6, 1881, Jacob Sears, John McDowell, Wm. Belmont, B. H. Smith, Z. T. Bartleson, Casper Culp; June 7, 1882, Jacob Sears, B. H. Smith, John McDowell, C. G. Neal, Casper Culp, and Z. T. Bartleson; Oct. 11, 1882, Jacob Sears resigned, G. O. Yarnall appointed; June 13, 1883, B. H. Smith, Z. T. Bartleson, Casper Culp, C. G. Neal, O. T. Pancoast, John McDowell; June 7, 1884, B. H. Smith, John McDowell, C. G. Neal, Z. T. Bartleson, O. T. Pancoast, Dr. J. B. Weston.
The Felton Fire Company. - The company was organized early in 1882, and in the same year erected, at a cost of three thousand dollars, a brick building on Third Street, between Morton and Jeffrey. The association, which at present has seventy-four members on its roll, have a hose-carriage, but are contemplating the purchase of a steamer. R. Peters, Jr., is president of the company.
South Chester News. - This paper was established by W. Warren Webb, March 23, 1883, as an advertising medium, and conducted as such for about six months, when it was changed to a four-column weekly newspaper, and later enlarged to six columns. The office is at No. 1726 West Third Street, South Chester. It is Republican in politics.
Plain Speaker. - This paper was established by Olin T. Pancoast, in an office at 2105 West Third Street. The first number was issued Aug. 1, 1883, and contained four columns, later was enlarged to five columns. On the 5th of July, 1884, the office was removed to No. 1929 West Third Street. It is Republican in politics.
South Chester Methodist Episcopal Church. - This society was organized in 1870, under the care of the Rev. S. W. Gehrett. In the next year a lot, one hundred and forty by one hundred feet, was purchased of John M. Broomall, at the corner of Third and Jeffrey Streets. Upon this lot the society erected on Jeffrey Street, in 1870, a brick edifice, thirty-six by sixty-three feet, which is used as a chapel. This church was built as a mission chapel of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church of Chester, and was dedicated in November, 1871. The Rev. Mr. Urie, of Wilmington, preached the dedicatory sermon. The society intend in the near future to erect a church on the corner of Third and Jeffrey.
The society now numbers one hundred and forty members. A Sunday-school containing two hundred and eight pupils, under the superintendency of John Neal, is in connection with the church. A parsonage, on the corner of Second and Jeffrey, is owned by the society. The names of the pastors who have served the church from its organization are here given: Revs. S. W. Gehrett, David McKee, Dr. Matthew Sorin, John B. Maddux, David M. Gordon, Abel Howard, Eli Pickersgill, Matthias Barnhill, and Israel M. Gable, the present pastor.
Baptist Chapel. - The First Baptist Church of South Chester was organized in 1871. A lot was purchased by Samuel A. Crozer, on the corner of Third and Jeffrey Streets, and a chapel built thereon by Mr. Crozer.
The pastors who have served the church have been the Revs. William R. McNeal, Reece W. Perkins, Alexander McArthur, and Henry B. Harper, the present pastor. The church has two hundred members, and a Sunday-school of three hundred and fifty pupils, under the charge of the pastor.
St. Daniel's Methodist Episcopal Church. - This church was organized in 1871, and erected at a cost of about four thousand dollars. The brick church is on Edwards Street, between Third Street and the railroad. The pastors who have served the church are Revs. ----- Henson, ----- Broden, George Washington, ----- Jolly, ----- Webb, J. Hugh Peirce, N. Morris, Dr. Butler, and J. J. Campbell, the present pastor. The church has about one hundred and seventy-five members.
First Baptist Church. - This church was organized in the spring of 1879, and through the liberality