The Borough Of Upland.
admitted July 17, 1862, and on the 29th of the same month the steamer "State of Maine" arrived at Chester with two hundred and twenty-three sick and wounded Union soldiers on board, who had been captured in the Seven Days' Fight before Richmond, and had just been exchanged. The building contained nearly a thousand beds, but so great was the demand made upon the hospital that thirteen hundred persons, including patients, surgeons, attendants, and guards, were gathered within its walls. Until the 14th of July, 1863, the hospital was used almost exclusively for wounded Union soldiers, but after the battle of Gettysburg the Confederate wounded, left on the field by Gen. Lee in his retreat, were so many that the government was compelled to designate a certain hospital for the reception of the rebels, and the one at Chester was selected for that purpose.
In July, 1862, Rev. John Pinckney Hammond, a brother of Surgeon-General Hammond, and at the time rector of St. Paul's Church, Chester, was appointed chaplain of the hospital. This selection proved unsatisfactory to a large number of the most active friends of the institution, whose desire was to minister to the wants of the unfortunate men who were sent thither, unrestrained by cumbersome and unnecessary rules, the enforcement of which caused much difficulty in the working of the auxiliary bodies connected with the institution. Dr. J. L. Le Conte, the noted entomologist, on July 14, 1862, was appointed to succeed Dr. Wood. He adhered firmly to the rules already promulgated respecting visitations to the hospital, which largely obstructed the unselfish and earnest work of the ladies of "The Soldiers' Relief Association," while returning nothing in exchange for the hindrance offered. The dispute between the hospital authorities and the people culminated in petitions for the removal of these officers being presented to the appointing power, and at last they were removed in the fall of 1862, but not until Hon. John M. Broomall, the then member of Congress, had repeatedly demanded such action. Dr. Eben Smith succeeded Dr. Le Conte.
After the hospital was set apart for the reception of Confederate wounded, a picket-fence, twelve feet in height, was built, surrounding the grounds, and guards were stationed to prevent the escape of convalescent prisoners of war. Notwithstanding the vigilance of the authorities, one dark stormy night in August, 1863, Capt. Edward Shay, of the Sixteenth Mississippi Regiment, and Lieut. Davis, of Gen. Trimble's staff, evaded the guard and escaped.
The hospital furnished accommodation for more than six thousand wounded soldiers, and many men to-day, North and South, remember with grateful hearts the kindness they received while inmates of the hospital at Chester. While located here, Dr. Ellwood Harvey was assistant surgeon from July, 1862, to September of the same year; Dr. F. Ridgely Graham, from October, 1862, to June, 1863; and Dr. J. L. Forwood from July 21, 1863. Dr. Charles J. Morton was also assistant surgeon.
At the conclusion of the war, in 1865, the building was returned to its owner, and in December of the same year Col. Theodore Hyatt leased the property until the summer vacation of 1868. John P. Crozer having died March 11, 1866, as soon as the Pennsylvania Military Academy had vacated the building the Crozer family, as a memorial of their father, as before stated, determined to set it apart as a Baptist Theological Seminary, and it was formally dedicated to that object on Friday, Oct. 2, 1868.
The seminary has, beside the land and buildings, an endowment fund of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, so judiciously invested that the interest therefrom meets fully the ordinary expenses of the institution. There is also a lecture fund of ten thousand dollars, the interest of which is applied to defraying the cost of lectures on subjects not directly appertaining to the educational course. The Crozer family in 1882 gave fifty thousand dollars to endow a professorship as a memorial of their mother, the late Mrs. Sallie K. Crozer. Connected with the seminary and erected on the campus is "Pearl Hall," founded by William Bucknell, in memory of his late wife, Margaret, daughter of John P. Crozer, and the name it bears - Pearl - is the signification of Margaret in the Latin tongue. Mr. Bucknell's gift, including the sum expended in the structure and books, amounted to fifty thousand dollars. Pearl Hall was formally opened on June 14, 1871, one of the conditions of the trust being that the library shall be free to the young men of Delaware County. The building, a Greek cross, is of serpentine stone, the floor of the main apartment laid in tiles, and is admirably arranged for the purposes of the library, which comprises about ten thousand volumes, a large number being works of reference, but in the collection are many early-printed and scarce books. In a few instances the only known copies of several theological treatises extant are to be found in this library. In 1881, Mr. Bucknell gave an additional sum of ten thousand dollars, the interest of which is to be applied yearly to the purchase of books for the library. One of the conditions is as follows:
"If at any time the inhabitants of Delaware County should be debarred by any action of the Trustees or Faculty from the privilege of consulting the Library, or should the Library ever cease to bear the 'Bucknell' name, I wish this ten thousand dollars to be taken as the foundation of a Public Library for Delaware County, that being my native county, by any corporate body of Christian men who will secure with this fund only pure, moral, and religions literature, and who will protect the Library by charter from any possibility of indebtedness."
The seminary building is of brick stuccoed, two hundred feet in length, forty in width, and three stories in height, with basement. From the rear of the building is an addition, forty feet wide and fifty feet in length, at right angles to the main structure. The present faculty consist of Rev. Henry G. Weston, D.D., president and professor of Preaching and Pas-