The Borough Of Upland.
number of children applying for admission to the public school compelled the erection of a new building. A lot was purchased at the corner of Sixth and Upland Streets, and the brick school-house known as No. 1 was built. In 1880 it was enlarged, and has now accommodations for four schools. Upland had increased so much in population that in 1868 the Hill school-house, a stone building known as No. 2, was erected, and two schools established therein. In the six schools at the present time about three hundred and twenty-five pupils are in attendance.
When the borough of Upland was incorporated, in 1869, it was made an independent school district. In 1880, John W. Parsons was appointed principal of the schools, a position which he still retains.
The directors of the public school of Upland borough have been as follows:
1869, Rev. J. W. Pendleton, Benjamin F. Pretty, Rev. Dr. George D. B. Pepper, George H. Crozer, James Blight; 1870, James Sample, Augur Castle; 1872, George Vansant, William Band; 1873, Rev. Dr. George D. B. Pepper, Daniel G. Compton; 1874, John Gilston, Morris P. Hannum; 1875, Benjamin F. Pretty, Calvert Cardwell; 1876, Joseph Dalton, Jr., Daniel G. Compton, Timothy Keeley; 1877, William Band, William Give; 1878, Mark W. Allen, John Gilston, Morris P. Hannum; 1879, James West, Augur Castle; 1880, J. Parry Lukins, Joseph H. Carroll, Benjamin Crowther, James H. Moore; 1881, Benjamin Crowther, Garrett Pendleton; 1882, John McMurray, John Greenaway; 1853, Lewis J. Smith, George T. Watson, Joseph H. Carroll; 1884, Dr. Isaac Crowther, James A. Forsyth.
The Upland Baptist Church. - In the spring of 1851 John P. Crozer began the erection of a church edifice, previous to which date religious services conducted by Baptist clergymen were held in a room in the factory. In March of the following year the structure was so far advanced that it was dedicated, and on Nov. 17, 1852, when fully completed, was publicly recognized as a house of worship, prominent Baptist clergymen taking part in the ceremonies on that occasion. Rev. John Duncan was the first pastor, but be resigned in 1854, and Rev. William Wilder was called and accepted the pastorate of the church, continuing in the discharge of the duties appertaining thereto until July, 1865. In November of that year Rev. James M. Pendleton was installed as the minister, a relationship which was continued eighteen years, until the latter part of October, 1883, when he resigned. One night in the early spring of the year 1871 the reverend gentleman had a remarkable adventure with several burglars. He was awakened by a light in his study, which adjoined his sleeping-room, and, believing that by neglect the gas had been allowed to burn at that late hour, arose. As he approached the room the light was extinguished, and a determined voice ordered the clergyman to return to his bed and lie quiet. This command was obeyed, and the owner of the articles which were then undergoing inspection in another room by strangers overheard one of the intruders remark to the other, "If he don't lie still put a bullet through him." The doctor remained quiet until daylight came, when he arose to find the burglars had gone, as also a gold watch, a pair of gold spectacles, and thirty dollars in money. During Dr. Pendleton's pastorate the church prospered, and in 1873 the edifice was for the second time enlarged, the improvements made in that year costing fourteen thousand dollars, the first addition to the original building having been made in 1860. Not only did the membership of the Upland Church increase threefold during the pastorate of Rev. Dr. Pendleton, but a mission chapel was established at Leiperville, and another at Bridgewater, while the Baptist Church at Village Green and in South Chester were originally offshoots from the parent sanctuary at Upland. The church in the borough since Dr. Pendleton's resignation has been without a regular pastor, the services being conducted by Prof. E. H. Johnson, of the Crozer Theological Seminary, with marked success, for during the brief period in which he preached there one hundred and thirty persons were added to the roll of members. Rev. C. L. Williams, a recent graduate of the Crozer Seminary, is at present in charge of the church. The brick parsonage was built by John P. Crozer in 1855, and is a roomy, comfortable dwelling.
Crozer Theological Seminary. - Just beyond the incorporated limits of the city of Chester, to the northwest and within the borough of Upland, is located the institution of learning which was established by the Crozer family, in 1868, as a memorial of their father, the late John P. Crozer. In 1857, Mr. Crozer had begun the erection of the present main building, at a cost of forty-five thousand dollars, with the intention of locating there a normal school, and in September of the following year it was formally opened as an academy of the higher grades of intellectual training, and as such was continued for several years.
The war-storm having burst with fury on the country, early in June, 1862, Mr. Crozer tendered, without charge, to the United States the building as a hospital, conditioned only that it should be returned to him, after it was no longer required, in as good condition as when he placed it at the disposal of the government. The offer was accepted, the necessary changes in the building made, and on June 18, 1862, Dr. George K. Wood, formerly an assistant surgeon in the regular army, was appointed surgeon-in-charge of the hospital. As soon as it was ascertained that a hospital would be established there, on the date last mentioned a number of ladies organized a society known as "The Soldiers' Relief Association," of which Mrs. Samuel A. Crozer was first directress; Mrs. Abby Kerlin, assistant directress; Mrs. Samuel Arthur, secretary; Mrs. J. Lewis Crozer, assistant secretary; Mrs. John P. Crozer, treasurer, with a directress in every township in the county. For some time the sick, disabled, and dying soldiers in this hospital were supplied with all the delicacies and luxuries so necessary to tempt the appetite and assuage the anguish of the inmates of that house of bodily suffering. The first patient was