The City Of Chester.
chartered on the 4th of May, 1868, with nine charter members, and was named in honor of the then mayor of Chester, John Larkin, Jr. Delegations from Crystal Fount, Excelsior, Damon, Ragau, and other lodges of Philadelphia were present. It has at present one hundred and thirty-five members, and is presided over by Gideon Herbert, Chancellor Commander. Meetings are held in Dyer's Hall, over the office of the Evening News.
Larkin Circle, No. 66, Brotherhood of the Union. - A society of this order was organized at Marcus Hook about 1845, and later one at Chester. The circle was chartered March 2, 1872, and now has one hundred and sixty-five members, and is at present presided over by Dean J. Deakyne, Chief Washington. Meetings are held in Cutler's Hall, Third and Kerlin Streets.
Good Intent Circle, No. 75, Brotherhood of the Union. - This circle was organized several years ago and dissolved, and on the 10th of May, 1882, was reorganized. It has at present ninety members. The present officers are: E. W., William Irwin; C. W., Andrew Corson; Treas., C. G. Hiorth; Scr., Charles Nothnagle; Reg., Jacob Titus. Meetings are held in M. O. U. A. Hall.
Lamokin Circle, No. 80, Brotherhood of the Union, was also organized several years ago, and was reorganized in May, 1884. It has a membership of thirty-six. Meetings are held in Riley's Hall, Third and Edward Streets.
Chester Council, No. 36, J. O. U. A. M. - This council was instituted in 1868, with fifteen charter members. A hall was fitted up by the society in the upper story of the Penn Building, which is still used.
Friendship Home Communion, No. 21, H. C. (H. F.) - This society was instituted Nov. 1, 1872, with twelve charter members, and at present has fifty members. Meetings were first held in Cutler's Hall, Third and Kerlin Streets, and later the hall of the J. O. U. A. M. was rented and is still used.
Washington Camp, No. 20, Junior Sons of America, was organized Dec. 19, 1854, and after a few years was discontinued. A camp of the same name, No. 43, of the Patriotic Order of the Sons of America, was chartered with fifty-eight members on the 17th of January, 1882. Meetings are held in the Junior Order of United American Mechanics' Hall, on Market Street.
Chester Council, No. 553, Royal Arcanum, an assessment insurance fraternity, was organized in Chester by Capt. H. C. Cochrane, Jan. 17, 1881, with twenty-three charter members. It has been very successful, numbering now upon its roll one hundred and sixteen members. Regent, Edward Barton; Secretary, J. M. Peoples; Treasurer, J. Craig, Jr.; Collector, Samuel Lyons. Meets in Dickinson Hall, first and third Wednesday evenings in each month.
Penn Conclave, No. 59, Improved Order Heptasophs, was organized March 28, 1883, with twenty-three charter members. The conclave meets in Dickinson Hall every second and fourth Wednesday evening. Archon, Julius Gottschalk; Secretary, J. Craig, Jr.; Treasurer, Oliver Troth; Collector, S. L. Armour.
Excelsior Lodge, No. 9, Independent Order of Mechanics. - This lodge was chartered April 23, 1884, in the Odd-Fellows' Hall, Broad and Mechanic Streets, where their meetings are still held.
Trinity Council, No. 23, Sons and Daughters of America, meet at Edgmont Hall.
German Beneficial Society, No. 1, hold meetings at Cutler's Hall, Third and Kerlin Streets.
Christian Home, No. 1369, I. O. of G. T. - This home was instituted in Fulton Hall, corner of Broad and Upland Streets, where meetings were held for a time. Later the society removed to No. 603 Green Street, near Morton Avenue, North Ward, where they are at present.
Ark of the Covenant Lodge, No. 86, American Protestant Association. - This lodge was chartered Aug. 27, 1869, with six charter members. Andrew McClure is the present Worthy Master. Meetings are held in Dyer's Hall.
Nelson Lodge, No. 19, of the Sons of St. George. - This lodge was chartered Feb. 26, 1875, and organized in the Odd-Fellows' Hall, corner of Broad and Mechanic Streets, where their meetings are still held.
Chester City Association of the Order of Philozatheans. - This order was instituted at Chester on the 17th of October, 1867, with twenty-five ladies as charter members. The society has at present fifty-seven members. The officers are Mrs. Alice Kline, Recorder; Mrs. Emma Winterbottom, Financial Recorder; Mrs. M. E. Taylor, Treasurer. Meetings are held in Odd-Fellows' Hall, Penn Building.
Ark of the Covenant Lodge, No. 4, of the American Protestant Ladies Association. - This lodge was chartered on the 11th of October, 1871. Meetings are held in the hall of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics, on Market Street. The lodge has fifty-five members, and is presided over by Miss Jennie Donaldson, Worthy Mistress.
Pride of Chester, No. 6858, American Order of Foresters. - This society was chartered April 26,1882, with three charter members. Meetings were first held at Odd-Fellows' Hall, Broad and Mechanic Streets, and at present at Dickinson Hall. John Coombs is the Chief Ranger.
Chester Purple Star, No. 86, Loyal Orange Lodge of the United States of America. - The charter of this lodge was granted Sept. 8, 1883. Its first Master was John Ballantine. Meetings are held in Dickinson Hall.
Mount Lebanon Lodge, No. 17, Masonic Ladies. - This society was instituted Nov. 21, 1866, with fifteen ladies as charter members. It has a membership of one hundred and sixty, and is presided over by