The City Of Chester.
Joseph Baker, John Martin, and others. At a stated meeting of Lodge No. 236, held March 8, 1849, the members of Lodge No. 69 were requested to meet for the purpose of uniting with the members of Lodge No. 236, which was done, in Penn Building, Market Square. About 1856 the lodge-room was removed to the hall over George Baker's store, the present Chester Evening News building. In 1870, Lincoln Hall was purchased by Chester Lodge, who at once began arranging and decorating the room appropriately for their uses, at a large outlay of money. The following persons have been the Worshipful Masters since the recharter: 1848, George W. Bartram; 1851, Joseph Weaver; 1852, John Larkin, Jr.; 1853, Charles D. Manley; 1854, Joseph R. Morris; 1855, Persifer Baker; 1856, Thad. K. Martin; 1857, James Wilkey; 1858, Samuel Cliff; 1859, James Holmes; 1860, Daniel B. Thomson; 1862, George Baker; 1863, John M. Greig; 1864, Dr. J. L. Forwood; 1865, Col. Thomas J. Leiper; 1866, Dr. John M. Allen; 1867, John Fountain; 1868, George Robinson; 1869, Dr. Jacob Boon; 1870, William H. Flaville; 1871, Robert S. Taylor; 1872, Lewis W. Govett; 1873, Thomas Mould; 1874, James Gartside; 1875, Robert Singleton; 1876, Moses H. Green; 1877, Charles Roberts; 1878, Martin L. Taylor; 1879, Edward S. Worrell; 1880, Robert Chadwick; 1881, William S. Ranier; 1882, William P. Thompson; 1883, Charles F. Foster, present incumbent.
The lodge has a membership by the last annual report of one hundred and ninety-one. In August, 1871, George Caldwell, the last surviving member of old Chester Lodge, No. 69, died in Chester township. The present officers are Charles F. Foster, Worshipful Master; Henry Greenwood, Senior Warden; William B. Broomall, Junior Warden; Thomas I. Leiper, Treasurer; Robert S. Taylor, Jr., Secretary.
L. H. Scott Lodge, No. 352, F. and A. M. - This lodge was chartered Dec. 27, 1864. The warrant was issued to John P. M. Greig, George Baker, Henry B. Taylor, George E. Darlington, Esq., James Barton, Jr., Stephen C. Hall, Charles D. Pennell, Alfred Taylor, Rev. John R. Quigg, William D. Pennell, S. H. Stevenson, John H. Barton, George Wilson, Samuel A. Dyer, S. F. Baker, and Charles J. Andrews. The lodge was instituted March 16, 1865, in the rooms of the parent lodge, No. 236. The following officers were installed: J. P. M. Greig, Worshipful Master; Henry B. Taylor, Senior Warden; George E. Darlington, Junior Warden; George Baker, Treasurer; and James Barton, Jr., Secretary. The following are the names of the Past Masters: John P. M. M. Gregg , Henry B. Taylor, James Barton, Jr., William N. Pennell, George E. Darlington, John H. Barton, William Taylor, Caleb Emlen, Hiram Hathaway, Charles A. Story, William S. Lamb, Charles L. Leiper, Dr. Robert P. Mercer, Stephen C. Hall, Henry Abbott, Jr., James A. Heargan, George W. Beatty, J. Newton Shanafelt, and James B. Rutter.
Chester Royal Arch Chapter, No. 258. - In 1823 a Chester Mark Lodge was in this city, as on 20th of December in that year Matthias Richards Sayres, as recorder, issued a call in the Post-Boy for a meeting of the Chester Mark Lodge. Beyond that fact no other information has been obtained respecting this lodge. Fifty-four years thereafter, in the fall of 1877, the Chester Royal Arch Chapter, No. 258, was instituted, with Charles Roberts, Most Excellent Priest; Edward S. Worrell, King; James Barton, Jr., Scribe; William H. Flaville, Treasurer; Theodore W. Stone, Secretary.
The present High Priest is Henry W. Cullis, and Theodore Stone, Secretary.
A Masonic Relief Association was chartered May 25, 1868, with George E. Darlington, President; Thomas E. Leiper, Vice-president; Col. William C. Gray, Treasurer; Samuel Anderson, Secretary; James Barton, Jr., George Robinson, and Charles D. Manley, Trustees.
The object of the association, as set forth in the charter, is to provide for the widows and orphans of deceased members, and for this purpose a liberal fund is set apart by contributions, donations, etc.
Delaware County Lodge, No. 13, Knights of Birmingham. - This lodge was instituted in Chester on the evening of Oct. 8, 1879. The order is confined to the members of the Masonic fraternity, and was largely attended on the installation of officers by many from abroad. Ceremonies were held at Masonic Hall, and the following were the officers: Sir Chief, Henry Abbott; Sir Knight, George W. Beatty; Sir Herald, Robert Chadwick; Secretary, Theodore S. Stone; Treasurer, William S. Rainer; Trustees, Thomas Lees and Edgar C. Lyons. The meetings of this society are held in Dyer's Hall.
Mount Tabor Lodge, No. 51, A. Y. M. - This lodge was established many years ago, and meetings were held in the hall at Fourth and Market Square, and about 1870 was abandoned. In that year Mount Vernon Lodge was chartered as No. 58. This also was abandoned, and the Franklin Lodge, No. 58, was chartered with the number of Mount Vernon Lodge. This society still retains its existence, and has about forty-two members, Thomas Handy being Worshipful Master. Meetings are held at the hall on Fourth and Market Streets.
Rising Sun Chapter, No. 12, A. Y. M. - This chapter contains at present twenty-three members, and is presided over by Johnson Pernsley, High Priest. Meetings are held in the hall at the corner of Fourth and Market Streets.
Radiant Star Lodge, No. 1063, Grand United Order of Odd-Fellows. - This lodge was instituted about thirty years ago, and at present has a membership of forty-five, with James H. Waters, Noble Grand, and William T. Jenkins, Past Grand. Meetings are held over the mayor's office.
Chester Lodge, No. 92, I. O. of O. F.-This lodge