The City Of Chester.
in line, and several of the industrial establishments - for all the manufacturing interests were represented - presented designs that were novel and interesting. The fifth division, restricted to the various trades, was one of the most noticeable in the parade. In the evening a display of fireworks took place at the corner of Ninth and Parker Streets.
On Thursday, Nov. 9, 1882, a number of gentlemen connected with the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and the Penn Club, having determined to celebrate the two hundredth anniversary of the landing of William Penn by placing a memorial stone at the actual spot where the landing occurred in Chester (then Upland), came to Chester in a special train, and were received by the mayor, members of Council, and a number of prominent citizens, and escorted to the ground, foot of Penn Street, in front of the residence of Mayor J. L. Forwood.
The memorial stone had been erected on the 8th of November, the preceding day, and was covered with the national flag. Permission had been previously obtained from the city authorities and the owners of the adjacent property to place the stone on and within the curb line, on the northerly side of Front Street, which would bring it within a few feet of the actual place where William Penn landed. The stone was of granite, about five feet high and three feet by two feet at the base, weighing over two tons. On the northern or inner face was a marble tablet, on which was cut the coat-of-arms of Penn and the words, "This Stone marks the spot where William Penn landed October 28-29, 1682." The stone, which was designed by John Struthers, of Philadelphia, was set upon a foundation of solid masonry, five feet square and three feet deep, the whole resting upon two thicknesses of heavy planks, laid transversely.
Charles S. Keyser, who acted as director of the ceremonies, made a brief address, after which Rev. Henry Brown offered a prayer. Charles J. Stillé, LL. D., in behalf of the donors, presented the memorial stone to the city, which was received by James Barton, Jr., the then mayor of Chester. Addresses followed by William Ward, Lloyd P. Smith, Justice Cox, Jr., Samuel Chew, George M. Conarroe, who in his address read a letter from John G. Whittier to Col. Frank Etting, regretting his inability to be present. The ceremonies were closed by a few remarks by Dr. James J. Levick. The party from Philadelphia, under the guidance of the Chester committee, examined some of the historical buildings in the city. The site of the Essex house and the old well, the Boar's Head Inn, the old court-house and prison, site of the House of Defense, Graham (Hoskins) house, Logan house, Richardson house, tomb of John Morton, Friends' meeting-house, site of Sandelands' double house, and other places of interest were among the points visited. About noon the Philadelphians took the special train for Codnor Farm, Col. Frank M. Etting's place, in Concord, to which they had been invited. The party was accompanied by a number of gentlemen from Chester and Delaware County. Letters of regret were received by Col. Etting from Maj.-Gen. W. S. Hancock, Benson J. Lossing, and others.
Chester Lodge, No. 69, A. Y. M. - The warrant for this lodge which was granted June 24, 1796, was signed by William Moore Smith, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of the State of Pennsylvania; Gavin Hamilton, District Grand Master; Thomas Town, Senior Grand Warden; John Poor, Junior Grand Warden; Thomas Armstrong, Grand Secretary; John J. McElwee, Grand Treasurer. The warrant is directed to William Martin, Worshipful Master; James Bernard, Senior Warden; William Pennell, Junior Warden; John Odenheimer, Master Mason; Matthias Kerlin, Master Mason; William Hill, Past Master; and Robert Smith, Master Mason. The first meeting was held August 30th of the same year, in the third story of a building on the corner of Fourth, and Market Streets, at which time it was the "Hope's Anchor" Tavern, now kept as the "Farmer's Market Hotel" by Edward Kelly. The device of the seal of the lodge was, at the top the all-seeing eye, the square and compass, enclosing two clasped hands expressive of friendship, and the motto "United and Free." At the first communication of the lodge, September 27th of the same year, the first degrees were conferred on Preston Eyre and Daniel Harmony. From that time to 1836, when the lodge surrendered its charter, one hundred and eighty-six Masons had been made or demitted from other lodges and united with this lodge. The following are the names of a few of the Past Masters: 1797, James Bernard; 1799, William Anderson; 1800, Preston Eyre; 1801, Joseph Engle; 1810, John Mackey; 1811, Joseph T. Johns; 1812, Job Terrill; 1814, William Hill; 1815, Joseph Engle. The property whereon the market-house now stands was owned by Lodge No. 69 prior to 1815; mention is made of it in the minutes as late as 1819, when all reference to it ceases.
In the Delaware County Republican of Aug. 24, 1847, appeared the following notice:
"Ancient York Masons. - The Brethren of Lodge No. 69, of Ancient York Masons, meet to day at the residence of Mrs. Jane Irwin for the purpose of applying for a new charter."
This meeting-place was the lodge-room of the society at Fourth and Market. At this gathering a petition was prepared to request the Grand Lodge to recharter Chester Lodge, No. 69. The request was not acceded to, but a charter was granted as Chester Lodge, No. 236. This warrant was dated Dec. 4, 1848, and the lodge was instituted on the 23d of February, 1849, by the installation of George W. Bartram, Worshipful Master, Joseph Weaver, Senior Warden, and Alexander M. Wright as Junior Warden. In addition to the officers mentioned, the following were charter members: Samuel R. Lamplugh, James Campbell, Isaac S. Williams, Ezekiel Norman, Thomas Baker,