an uninterrupted view of the speakers. The grounds are supplied with water from a neighboring stream, which is forced to a reservoir by a steam pump. A number of handsome permanent frame dwellings have beep built in the grove, which add greatly to the attractive appearance of the grounds. The hour of each meeting is announced by the ringing of a bell, which can be heard at considerable distance. By the provisions of the act incorporating the association the grove can be used only for purposes not in conflict with the discipline of the Methodist Church, and no excursion where dancing is permitted can be allowed access to the grounds. A post-office, known as Chester Heights, has been established by the United States at this station on the road, and during the continuance of the camp the mail distributed here is large. The association furnishes free railroad tickets to ministers to the Heights and lodging while there. The cost of lighting, water, police, and other regulations designed for the general comfort and safety of the guest is paid by the association. The location of the camp at this point has been advantageous to the neighborhood, and affords a market for many articles of produce raised by the farmers near by.
Crozer Chapel at West Branch. - In 1836, John P. Crozer erected a stone school-house sixty feet in length by about forty feet in breadth, which, inasmuch as it was occasionally occupied for divine service, was generally known as the Chapel. The building was two stories in height, the second floor being used for school purposes and the lower room for a Sunday-school, and, whenever opportunity offered, preaching by any clergyman of a recognized religious sect was had therein, the chapel not being in any wise a denominational church. After the establishment of the free public school this building was used by the directors of Aston for many years for school purposes. It has now ceased to be so used, but, still standing, has been changed into dwelling-houses, and is now the property of John B. Rhodes.
"The Blue Church." - About 1818 the church which was known by this name was erected, almost entirely at the cost of James Lindsay, on the west side of the Logtown road, a short distance above where the highway leading from Lima intersects with the former road. On March 1, 1822. James Lindsay, of Aston, conveyed to William Glenn, James McMullen, Samuel Hunter, and their successors, trustees of the First Branch of the United Presbyterian Congregation of Aston, Providence, and Springfield, "for and in consideration of the love of God and promotion of Religion, and also in consideration of the sum of one dollar," for the use of the congregation mentioned, "a small lot of land with a meeting-house built thereon." Rev. John Smith, an Irishman, was the first and only pastor of Mount Gilead, for such he designated the church, having assumed the charge in 1819, and he will be recalled as the first advocate of the cause of temperance outside of the society of Friends in Delaware County; and until his death, on May 10, 1839, he never permitted an opportunity to pass unimproved to urge his views thereon. After his death, which resulted from his horse treading on him as he led the animal to water, the church languished. John P. Crozer records, under date of Monday, October 4, 1842, in his diary, "I was yesterday at the 'Blue' meeting-house. A stranger was there, sent by the Presbytery of Philadelphia to this and the Middletown meeting-house to make some attempt to infuse life into these decaying churches." The attempt, however, so far as the Blue Church was concerned, was fruitless. It finally ceased to be used as a place of worship, until to-day the building has disappeared, and the ancient God's acre, wherein the "forefathers of the hamlet sleep," is indistinguishable from the field which surrounds it.
The Baptist Church at Village Green. - Early to 1860 a Methodist Church was erected at Village Green, which was dedicated May 17th of that year, and was retained by that religious denomination until 1865, when dissension spread in the congregation, which resulted finally in the lot and building being sold by the sheriff, Richard S. Smith becoming the purchaser. For several years it was conducted as a Church of England mission; but finally, as the weight of years pressed heavily on Mr. Smith, who was its main support, it languished until 1871, when it was sold to Mrs. Sallie K. Crozer, and for ten years was conducted as a mission, under the direction of the Crozer Theological Seminary, the students in that institution supplying the pulpit. In 1881 it was made a separate church, and Rev. Miller Jones was called to the charge. At that time a parsonage was purchased and ground adjoining the church, on which sheds for the shelter of vehicles and horses were erected. The church is now in a flourishing condition.
The Baptist Chapel at Bridgewater. - The brick chapel at Bridgewater was built in 1874 on a lot purchased from Samuel Haigh & Co. in that year. It is a missionary station under the control of the Upland Baptist Church, and its supplies are furnished from the students of Crozer Theological Seminary.
Calvary Episcopal Church. - In 1833, Richard S. Smith, an active Episcopalian, who had recently removed from Philadelphia to Rockdale, established a Sunday-school in a vacant room in the upper story of his nail mill at that place, his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Beach Smith, and his daughters teaching the scholars, while he discharged the duties of superintendent. The nearest Episcopal Church at that time was five miles distant, hence the residents in the neighborhood of Rockdale of that denomination were compelled to worship at Mount Hope Methodist Church or the Presbyterian Church at Middletown. The success attending the Sunday-school was so marked that it was resolved to form a congregation of Episcopalians at that locality, and to that end